Thursday, October 30, 2014

Day of the Dead Blog Tour

My family LOVES Halloween. It's not because of the treats. Stick around though, because I have a treat for you at the end of this post! We love Halloween because it's a super cool way to dress up and be somebody else for an evening. My kids spend months trying to decide on the perfect costume. And they are not at all limited to what is available in the stores or the patterns offered for costumes by McCalls or Simplicity. I'll hack a pattern, or two to give them the perfect look.

Last year, my youngest daughter wanted to represent Dia de los Muetros.


So, this year, when Melissa from Rebel & Malice started talking about hosting a Day of the Dead tour, I knew I had to share our look!


To achieve the sugar skull look, I knew we had to nail the make up. I spent about 45 minutes painting her face.


It was far from perfect. After the fact, I found out people often use temporary tattoos to get a clean look. Genius! I just used the costume make up sold in Halloween stores. Not the best stuff, as you can see. But she was thrilled with it!

Her hair was a French braid that started in the front and wrapped around the side and back of her head, ending in a messy knot bun with a black flower hair clip as an accent.



Weirdly, as much time as I spent on this costume, I don't have many pictures. This is the only shot I could find of the back of her hair.

Her costume was made using Candy Castle Patterns Princess Dress and Jocole's  Little Miss Derby Jacket. I lined the jacket with fleece to keep her warm. And she was! It was very chilly and drizzling or raining most of the evening. She had no complaints of being cold.


I used a lot of trims, as you can see to make the look extravagant. It was! She received a lot of compliments last year.




 The skirt of the dress is three layers. All the fabric were purchased from JoAnn's. The top was a fancy fabric that had those gathers built into it. It added quite a bit of weight to the dress. I added a ruffle that I put a black rolled edge on with my serger. Next layer, I cut a bit short, you can see a bit of lace peaking out, that's it. LOL The third layer had a ruffle at the bottom and then a ruffled trim over the bottom hem. The long skirt and high boots allowed her to be able to wear black sweat pants under her dress.


Thanks for stopping by and checking out our Day of the Dead influenced look! I hope it inspires you to create your own! Or even better, take time to celebrate Day of the Dead. Halloween is so much more than dressing up and going to your neighbors to collect enough candy to end up in a sugar high that will last a week. Celebrate your past. Honor your loved ones.

For more fantastic inspiration, check out the rest of the tour!

October 27: From a Box - Paisley Roots
October 28: Crafty Lady Abby
October 29: Sewing Sober - Two Novembers
October 31: Call Ajaire
November 1: Lulu & Celeste
November 2: Rebel & Malice (Last day to enter giveaway!)

And of course, we have a treat for you! Enter below to win a cool prize!




3 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful ensemble. I think you nailed it, and managed to make a beautiful costume that seems to really signify and celebrate this special holiday! Thank you for being on the tour!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is amazing! We had some trick or treaters dressed this way!

    ReplyDelete